The Winnipeg Central Speed Skating Club (WCSSC) is an amalgamation of the River Heights Speed Skating Club and the St James Speed Skating Club. These two clubs joined together to create a strong speed skating program for all of Winnipeg.
WCSSC welcomes skaters from all areas of the city and all age groups – from beginner skaters to advanced!
We currently use the Corydon Community Centre, River Heights rink for most of our programs and the Rink, Oak Bluff for our advanced skaters once a week.
We want to make speed skating accessible for everyone and we provide speed skates for an annual rental fee ($125). All skaters require a helmet, safety glasses, leather gloves or mitts, neck protection and shin guards. For details on the required equipment, click here.
Speed skates are not mandatory for new skaters – we encourage skaters to wear what they are comfortable in to start and only when they feel ready they can switch to speed skates.
History of Our Clubs:
The River Heights Speed Skating Club (now the Winnipeg Central Speed Skating Club) was formed in 1965 with 130 skaters in its first year. Membership was $6 and skaters fundraised by selling light bulbs. Speed skating sessions were held at the Corydon Community Centre on Mondays and Tuesdays at 4:30 pm with races every Saturday at 6:00 pm. Mrs. Blanche McCallum was president and coach for the first 4 years of the program.
The River Heights Speed Skating Club hosted the Manitoba Indoor Championships in 1967 and 1969 and in 1968, they hosted the Canadian Indoor Championships!
1969 was quite a year for the club – River Heights placed second in the Silver Skate! And second in team points for the Canadian Outdoor Championship in Saskatoon. River Heights had 20 skaters at that event with 3 Canadian Champions and 22 medals!
In 1968 and 69, an eight hundred meter lap outdoor track was built on community club grounds and in the winter of 1970, a 400 meter track was built.
In 2019, the River Heights Speed Skating Club changed its name to the Winnipeg Central Speed Skating Club and joined forces with the St. James Speed Skating Club. Skaters continue to skate twice a week at the Corydon Community Centre from October to March each year and include children as young as 6 years old all the way to 18 years old.
The St James Speed Skating Club (now part of the Winnipeg Central Speed Skating Club) was organized in 1934 at Mason’s Rink (south Portage Ave). The first president was Mr. Mason (owner of the rink) and the coach was Art Raven.
In 1935, the club moved to the Boarder Rink (Kensington St) with around 16 skaters.
In 1962, the club re-organized with 56 skaters practicing twice a week with races every Saturday afternoon.
In 1964, the club had over 150 skaters. The club hosted the MB outdoor Championship in 1966 and 7 skaters represented the club at the Canadian Outdoor Champions in Dawson Creek in 1966.
To find out about all our specific programs, click here
For details on how to register for our programs, click here
For details on all the meets throughout the year check out the MSSA calendar, click here